Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
This one was requested by Nazia from Orbit, and she was very specific that she wanted a cocktail that tasted like sweets rather than chocolate. I couldn’t turn down that kind of a challenge, so here I’ve made bubblegum infused vodka/vanilla white russian style drink, which I’ve used along with a pop rock rim and a lollipop for garnish. I’ve been very careful about the sweetness level, so while it’s definitely got a candy flavor it won’t make you feel sick unless you have too many of them. 😀
Bubblegum Infused Vodka
You will need:
- 1 Jam Jar
- 6 Pieces Bubblegum of your choice (I used Hubba Bubba for the nostalgia)
- 8 oz Vodka (2 oz needed per drink so adjust as necessary)
Unwrap your bubblegum and put into the jar. Top up with 8 oz vodka, screw on the lid firmly and give it a good shake. Leave for a couple of days, remove gum when vodka has taken on the flavor. The vodka won’t absorb very much of the sugar so it will taste strongly of the gum but won’t be super sweet.
You will need:
- Cocktail Shaker
- Martini Glass
- 2 Saucers
- Pop Rocks (flavor of your choice, I used strawberry)
- Swirly Lollipop for Garnish (optional)
- 3 Drops Pink Food Coloring
- 3 Drops Blue Food Coloring
- 2 oz Bubblegum Infused Vodka
- 2 oz Half & Half or Cream
- 2 drops Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp White Chocolate Syrup (plus a dollop extra for the glass rim)
Take two saucers – in one, put a small dollop of white chocolate sauce. In the other, your pop rocks. Run the rim of your martini glass first through the chocolate sauce, then the pop rocks. Tap to dislodge any loose rocks, then set aside.
Fill your cocktail shaker with ice, then add food coloring, 1 tbsp white chocolate syrup, 2 drops vanilla extract, vodka and half & half/cream. Shake vigorously for about 10 seconds, then strain into your martini glass. Add your lollipop for garnish.
Enjoy, until there’s no way of knowing which direction you are going! 😉